Monday, December 28, 2009

How Do You Measure, A Year in the Life

I have been struggling to write a summation post for the year that just passed. I am emphatic about the fact that I am happy to see 2009 go. This year was filled with victories. But this year was about righting the ship. Cleaning out the closet and getting back to being great. Noticing that I had been stagnant and that I wasn’t looking to settle down, I was settling. To sum it all up, in 2008, I was not myself, and in 2009, I had to find myself. Lucky for me, I am not a hard person to find.

At times this year, I was angry and upset about life. Who doesn’t go through times where they question their surroundings and network? At times this year, I was perfectly resigned to just do nothing at all. As I neared the birthday this year I started to think about how short life is and how long it’s been since grade school, and how these cannot be used as excuses anymore.

I spent some time evaluating past situations in my life that I carried around as baggage. I realize that I really ain’t mad at nobody. It took me a while but I think that 2009 taught me one thing about people in this world; it’s not about b*tches, hoes, pimps, players, grimy people, cheaters, liars, etc. The fact is that the world is comprised of good people and bad people. Instead of labeling people all the time we should worry about how to identify a good person from a bad person. And the good people should focus on not associating with bad people. You see bad people are degenerates, they can’t do anything but bring you down. They destroy everything they touch. They may seem like they have good intentions but in the end they always make the same mistakes because it’s in their nature. Good people are truly that. You have people who will set out in life and say, “I want to be honest and not tell lies, this will make me a better person. And I’m willing to do whatever it takes to do so.” A good person will stick to that. A bad person will say, “I am going to try and not tell any lies anymore.” Big difference.

Anyway I’m sure that people are looking for words of wisdom. Well, I do have a few;
- There are no third chances in this game called life.
- Do not accept out of the order as the order.
- Trust your gut instinct.
- Sometimes you have to rebuild. The first step is rid yourself of the current team. A lot of us can’t ever move on because we can’t rid ourselves of the current roster.
- Draft your franchise player and build your dynasty around them. You can put together a team of stars, but you’re still going to have people arguing over the ball. Try to build around your franchise player and refuse to settle for anything else and you will see results.

One takeaway from the year? Women this year have had a dismal showing. Your names have been dragged through the mud, but some of you deserved to be there. We’ve allowed our entire environment and world tell women it was okay to stop conforming to social norms and “do them.” Well, just because men don’t get called a hoe for sleeping around doesn’t mean it’s okay for a woman to do the same thing. How about none of us exhibit that type of degenerative behavior? I used to hold the woman’s loyalty and ability to be up there so high, but after this year, I’ll have to say that the stock has fallen a tad. I know that women are better than this though, my expectations were set so high before because I know some phenomenal women, however in 2010, you will have to show it.

My epiphany came to me when I realized that I had come full circle. I feel like I lived Kanye’s last album in my own personal and professional life. I feel like I had to grow up over the last year to be ready to get a year older. I feel like I succeeded. I ended 2008 with Say U Will on heavy rotation in my speakerboxx, trying to convince people around me that they should do what they say and follow through on their word. By mid 2009, I had a dream and a few random people were in it, and I didn’t get it until I was walking home from the metro station and See You In My Nightmares came on my Storm, life had finally come full circle. (For some strange reason, Coldest Winter always skipped for me, the MP3 file I got was bad.)

All this to say, 2009, should have been called, Corrective Maintenance. Next year, I hope to call, Continued Success. I wish you all well in the New Year and hope you all have a safe and Happy New Year’s Eve!

- Doctor J

No comments: