Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Backlog: Do light skin girls have more fun than dark skin girls?

Ms. Lewinski: Indeed they do- Monday through Sunday.
My Neighbor: damn right
My Neighbor: light skinned girls are super fantasticI have a [thing] for them
UNC Socialite: hmmm....interesting...I never worry about my skin color...u think darker skinned girls do?
UNC Socialite: also, li[ght] skinned girls don't think about their skin color...not saying darker skinned girls do...but I think it might be like being white. But I’d hate to be ugly, light and ugly or dark and ugly.

I won’t answer that now, perhaps it’s a rhetorical question. I want to note a few things in this note. I have never witnessed a group of light skin women having a conversation about how guys are infatuated with dark skin women. In fact, I know plenty of guys who date primarily dark skin girls, i.e., the VP, and no one goes up to him and says, you have a dark skin girl complex. As well, I’ve never heard a light skin woman say to a man or a female friend, “He only likes her because she’s dark skin.” (I will personally admit, when I judge whether a light skin girl is attractive or not, I try to see her in different shades to make sure, I’m not lunching (tripping), because sometimes girls get away with that hogwash. Read: A whole lot of girls at CU who shall forever remain nameless, the Savages know exactly who I’m talking about.)

What am I saying here? I’m saying this, God made us all beautiful, in different sizes, colors, heights and weights, if we get hung up on skin color we are neglecting God’s plan. Now I will say, some guys have a preference and some guys have a complex. But the men need to address this issue within themselves, and DO NOT need the peanut gallery assisting them. For women who get hung up on it, MOVE ON, there are guys for every girl.

And for a brief moment of a wider thought, do we have any idea what the skin complex has done to our race for hundreds of years? And honestly, does the thought that someone has a light skin complex or preference ever come from them, or the peanut gallery? I will say that in private everyone discusses preference, but that goes both ways and different ways. People all have preferences; some like dark, light, tall, short, skinny, chubby, plump, big breasts, big booties, athletic builds, athletes, intellectuals, and the list goes on and on like the BBE.

Last thoughts, looking at the spectrum of video hofessionals, a great deal of the famous ones are dark skin. Read: Melyssa Ford, Karrine Stephens (Superhead), the girl from the 112 video, and many more. I’ll name a few names to you that compose most guys top ten in Hollywood list: Halle Berry, Nia Long, Garbielle Union, Nicole Aree Parker, Vivica Fox, Sanaa Lathan, Meagan Good, NuNu from ATL and the Frontin’ video, and I could go on. Case and point, it’s a 4 to 4 tie.

Minor Notes:
Based on the amount of attention given to light skin girls, if I was a dark skin girl, I wouldn’t waste my time with the hate, just go get some latin girls, they are like snakes to mice.

According to a person close to the Essence story, Kanye reportedly told the magazine, “If it wasn’t for race mixing, there’d be no video girls.”

Then, as if his first comment wasn’t offensive enough, Kanye referred to biracial women as dogs. The rapper told, “

Me and most of my friends like mutts a lot … Yeah, in the hood they call ‘em mutts.”

PS - Feel free to invite others to the conversation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had a friend (dark skin) who used to be like, oh you got such and such because you're light skin, or so and so holla'd at you only because you're light skin.... that used to kill me because i'd always be like, well, i'm also smart, i have a great personality, and i'm just cool like that lol

i think what it boils down to people (specifically women) who are insecure about themselves and try to bring others down to make them feel good about themselves. but really, it's 2009, this light skin/dark skin debates need to go awayyy!

Anonymous said...

sorry i didn't proofread, but u get my gist...